Neymar Defends Against Criticism During Recovery from Serious Injuries

  • May 18, 2026 | 11:15

Brazil's all-time leading goalscorer, Neymar, has defended himself against the "meaningless" criticism he faced during his recovery from serious injuries. He expressed satisfaction with his efforts to prove his readiness to play in Carlo Ancelotti's World Cup squad. Neymar, who last played for Brazil in 2023 due to injuries, underwent knee surgery that kept him off the field for a year. The "Seleção" coach stated that Neymar must be fully fit and perform well to compete for a spot in the 2026 World Cup.

“Physically, I feel great. I am improving with every match. I gave my best, but it was not easy. I admit that it was not easy. It was years of hard work, and also a lot of nonsense that was said about my condition and what I was doing. It's really sad how people talk about it. I worked hard, quietly at home, and suffered because of what people were saying, but in the end, everything turned out well. I reached the place where I wanted to be. I am satisfied with my performance and everything I have done so far. Whatever happens, Ancelotti will surely call the 26 best players for the World Cup,” Neymar said to the media after Santos' 0-3 loss to Coritiba.

Ancelotti is expected to announce the World Cup squad that evening. Brazil, aiming for a record sixth title, will face Morocco, Haiti, and Scotland in Group C of the tournament from June 11 to July 19 in North America.