Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is set to return to the boxing ring on September 12 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, to face Christian Mbilli (29-0-1, 24 KOs) for the WBC super middleweight title. The Mexican boxer will have been inactive for nearly a year since losing his 168-pound belts to Terence Crawford on September 13, 2025.

Alvarez, who boasts a record of 63-3-2 (39 KOs) and will turn 36 in July, has taken this time to recharge and refocus. "After so many years in this sport, my motivation remains the same: to challenge myself, represent Mexico, and continue building my legacy," Alvarez stated. This bout marks his 22nd year as a professional boxer.

Mbilli, an undefeated fighter and former WBC interim champion, presents a formidable challenge. "Mbilli is undefeated and a great fighter. I must respect that," Alvarez said. "But my focus is always on my preparation, performance, and giving the fans another great night of boxing."

Canelo, despite his advancing years, remains a significant draw in the sport. Prior to his loss to Crawford, he held all four belts in the super middleweight class after claiming titles at 154 and 160 pounds previously. Mbilli, who was born in Cameroon and now fights out of France, has shown his capabilities in a thrilling 10-round draw with Lester Martinez in Las Vegas.

"My last fight was the fight of the year," Mbilli said. "In September, against Canelo Alvarez, it will be the fight of the decade. And when it is over, the world will witness a historic victory for me."

On September 12, the stage is set for an unforgettable fight night as Canelo returns to claim the WBC super middleweight title.