Agit Kabayel, the unbeaten German and current WBC interim heavyweight champion, was taken aback when he learned that the WBC had sanctioned Oleksandr Usyk’s upcoming title defense against kickboxing great Rico Verhoeven. Kabayel, who holds a 25-0-1 record, had expected to be next in line for a shot at Usyk’s unified heavyweight crown. Instead, the Ukrainian will return this Saturday at the Pyramids of Giza in a contest viewed as more spectacle than genuine sporting competition.
Disappointment and Respect
“When I saw it, I said, ‘Crazy,’” Kabayel told BoxingScene. “Normally, I will call Mauricio [Sulaiman, the WBC president] and say, ‘What is this?’ But, I respect it and I hope I’m the next in the line.”
The Usyk-Verhoeven bout has divided opinion since being announced. Many fans are intrigued by the meeting between two masters of their chosen crafts, while others question why the WBC chose to sanction the bout while contenders such as Kabayel remain waiting for their opportunity.
Looking Forward
“I think this is a good fight for the fighting fans,” Kabayel said. “I think this is not for sports competition, I think this is for the fans. This is like a show fight. But I think, yeah, why not? If people want to see the fight. But I think, normally, he must fight with me, Usyk.”
Kabayel also fully expects Usyk to handle his business against Verhoeven this Saturday. “I don’t know, this is boxing, this is heavyweight boxing,” he said. “One punch can change a fight, but we will see. This is a good fight for fans, but I think this is an easy night for Usyk.”
Usyk recently named a three-man hitlist of Verhoeven, the winner of the WBO title fight between Fabio Wardley and Daniel Dubois – that was won by Dubois earlier this month – and a trilogy with Tyson Fury, before he hangs up his gloves for good. That list notably does not include the name of Kabayel.
“But I heard in an interview he said, ‘Why not Kabayel next?’” said Kabayel. “He said this is his plan and is the plan from God. We will make the fight happen. We will see.”
Saudi boxing financier Turki Alalshikh also recently revealed plans to make the bout between Usyk and Kabayel in Germany later this year. “If one guy can make this fight happen, I say it’s Turki Alalshikh,” Kabayel said.
really hoping for that usyk-kabayel fight later this year, especially if it's in germany. can't wait to see how that plays out.